Over the years, the gambling industry has undergone remarkable transformations. It began with the brick-and-mortar casino, progressed to the online casino, and then embraced the new cryptocurrency casino version that has taken the gambling industry by storm. This astronomic rise was helped by the COVID-19 pandemic, which forced most players to look for alternative ways of playing their favorite casino games. In response, cryptocurrency casinos have emerged as an innovative option, introducing a new way for gambling enthusiasts to enjoy their gaming experience.
The success that has followed is why those who doubted the impact of crypto evolution in the last decade have had to admit how mistaken they were. The advent of digital currencies, especially, has, without doubt, significantly affected many sectors, including the gambling industry. This digital disruption has paved the way for betting with cryptocurrency, thus becoming a driving force in the remarkable transformation of the gambling landscape.
The result is such that despite global economic challenges, online gambling and digital currencies have experienced substantial growth potential through their casino blockchain alignment. In fact, betting now accounts for a significant portion of blockchain transactions. This is due to the investments made in the likes of Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other alt-coins. Now, players in the world of sports betting and casinos have more control over their experiences.
Take a look at the origin of crypto in online gambling, how it works, and how the evolution of crypto has led to the evolution of gambling.
Origins of Crypto in Online Gambling
Cryptocurrency is a digital currency that can be exchanged online for goods and services using a technology called blockchain that oversees records and transactions. The oldest and the most widely known is Bitcoin; there are also alternatives like Ethereum and other alt-coins. The attraction of cryptocurrency is in the privacy and security that it offers, along with the opportunity to mine crypto for many people.
Looking at the gambling industry, it was in 2011 that, for the first time, cryptocurrencies were used in online gambling on a poker gaming site. The following year, in April 2012, Bitcoin early adopter Erik Voorhees entered the market with Satoshi Dice. The site rapidly grew and accounted for more than 50% of all Bitcoin network transactions. By June of the following year, his platform, Satoshi Dice, was sold for 26,315 BTC, equivalent to $11.5 million at the time, to an undisclosed buyer. Today, more than 200 online gambling sites, otherwise called crypto casinos, offer crypto betting options, many of which have a review of the cryptocurrencies they accept.
How Crypto Betting Works
Many of the top online casinos now accept a wide range of payment methods, including cryptocurrency, which has allowed them to cater to more and more punters who wish to play casino table games, online poker, or any of the online casino games. But how does cryptocurrency betting work, and how is it different?
As you’d expect, cryptocurrency betting follows the same betting process as when you play any other form of gambling online. The difference here being the payment method. So, instead of using conventional bank channels, players only need to transfer funds from their crypto wallet by linking it to their betting account.
Such a player can then transfer funds from their wallet to their account and then proceed to place a bet as usual. Winnings from betting are withdrawn by converting the crypto into the player’s chosen currency based on the current exchange rate. Remarkably, these withdrawals can often be completed in under 24 hours.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Crypto Betting
With more businesses becoming digitized, cryptocurrency has become the ideal choice for the online gambling sector. These are some of the advantages of gambling on crypto:
- Crypto casinos can now serve players from any part of the world because cryptocurrencies open up the gambling industry to parts of the world where gambling is restricted due to banking regulations.
- There are many cryptocurrencies available, allowing players to pick the type of crypto suitable for them.
- Cryptocurrencies also offer swift, secure, and convenient deposits and withdrawals from online gambling sites, thereby eliminating the headaches of declined transactions.
- Another advantage of crypto gambling is that crypto transactions provide anonymity while also bypassing any third-party authorities that can regulate the activity.
- In addition, when bettors play online gambling using crypto, the cost of operation for online casinos and sportsbooks is significantly reduced.
- The reduction in operational costs enables online casinos to offer enhanced bonuses to users who employ cryptocurrencies for transactions. These bonuses can go as high as 100% of the initial deposit amount if using cryptos on their site.
- There are no withdrawal or deposit limits, third-party, regulatory fees, or regulatory interferences.
Despite the many upsides to crypto in the online gambling sector, there are also a few downsides to it. They include:
- Not all casinos offer the cryptocurrency payment method. However, there are many online casinos that accept this method of payment. On the other hand, there is also no shortage of online gambling sites that accept payments from credit and debit cards.
- Crypto gambling may expose players to risks when it comes to player protection in case of a dispute.
- Cryptocurrency is subject to supply and demand, and this can lead to fluctuation. As a result, players may have some gains not related to their winnings; they may also suffer a loss in the value of the crypto they use. Therefore, it is important to keep a record of the values of cryptocurrencies while playing games in online casinos.
The Future of Cryptocurrency in Online Gambling
As an industry at the forefront of new technologies and innovations, it’s easy to see that the future of online gambling is in blockchain technology. The adoption of the Metaverse will have a significant impact on online gambling, enabling casinos to provide immersive virtual experiences to players.
In addition, since crypto gambling gives the advantage of reduced cost of operation to casinos, lower house-edge games will continue to flourish as players take full advantage of them.
On the other hand, as crypto gambling becomes more and more popular, expect governments to introduce more regulations to curb excesses and reflect growing awareness of new developments in this industry.
Enjoy the Best Crypto Games With Borgata Online
The integration of cryptocurrency into the gambling industry has brought about significant changes, offering advantages to both players and casinos. It’s a faster method of payment that also offers anonymity to players, among other benefits, so the thrill of playing can continue.
Start your own journey here by clicking here to register with Borgata Online and explore a vast range of online slots, casino table games, and other online gaming options.