There are few casino table games quite as popular as blackjack, an iconic traditional casino and online casino game that’s the perfect mix of luck and strategy.
As technology continues to advance and casinos evolve, new variations of this beloved game have emerged, catering to different player preferences and playing styles. Read on to discover the differences between single-hand and multi-hand blackjack, and explore each variation’s rules, odds, and strategic nuances.
A Brief Dip Into Blackjack’s History
Did you know blackjack has its roots in 17th-century France? The game gradually spread across Europe, undergoing many transformations and tweaks. The modern version gamblers know and love today found its way to America in the 1800s, quickly becoming a casino staple.
The Deal on Single-Hand Blackjack
Single-hand blackjack is the most basic, straightforward version of blackjack (with the lowest house edge of 0.15%,) where it’s just you, the dealer, and a single deck of cards. You play just one hand per round, and you and the dealer aim to get as close to 21 without going over. You’ve got your cards, the dealer’s got theirs, and it’s a showdown.
Understanding Multi-Hand Blackjack
Multi-hand blackjack is a little more complex (and a little more exciting.) It offers multiple betting spots, allowing you to play multiple hands simultaneously. The dealer still has just one hand, but you’re juggling several, each with its own set of cards. The objective remains the same: beat the dealer without going over 21 on any of your hands.
What Are the Odds for Single-Hand vs. Multi-Hand Blackjack?
The million-dollar question in blackjack is one you’ll encounter at some point: which variation dishes out better odds? The odds depend on various factors, including the number of decks in play, the specific rules of the game and, of course, your strategy.
Single-hand blackjack provides slightly better odds. With only one hand to focus on, you can fine-tune your approach and make more informed decisions with only one hand to focus on. Though exhilarating, multi-hand blackjack spreads your attention across multiple hands, making decision-making more challenging.
The Yin and Yang of Single-Hand and Multi-Hand Games
Every coin has two sides, and so do these blackjack variations. Here’s a look at the advantages and disadvantages of each.
The advantages of this variant include the following:
- Intense focus on a single hand allows for deeper strategy.
- Easier for beginners to grasp, making it a great starting point for new players.
- Slower pace lets you savor the game and make thoughtful decisions.
The disadvantages are that:
- It can feel less dynamic and slower-paced for those seeking more action.
- A streak of bad luck can be more difficult to recover from since you’re relying on a single hand.
In this case, the advantages include:
- Amped-up excitement and quicker gameplay for those craving excitement from their online casino games.
- Providing the thrill of managing multiple hands simultaneously.
- Higher chances of hitting streaks of good luck due to the increased number of hands.
The disadvantages include:
- It requires heightened multi-tasking skills and split-second decision-making.
- There’s the potential to lose more quickly if luck turns against you across multiple hands.
Single-Deck vs. Double-Deck Blackjack: What’s the Difference?
Beyond the realm of single-hand and multi-hand games lies another distinction: the number of decks in play. Here’s a breakdown.
A single deck means fewer cards in the mix, making card counting potentially more effective. That said, casinos often counter this advantage with stricter rules or limitations on doubling down or splitting.
With two decks, card counting is still feasible but slightly more challenging. Double-deck games may offer slightly better odds than multi-deck games, making them a sweet spot for players seeking a balance between strategy and action.
Strategy Tips for Success
Here are some handy tips on single-hand and double-deck blackjack strategies to try out in your next game.
Single-Hand Blackjack Strategy
- Double down on 11: When your hand totals 11, consider doubling down to maximize your potential winnings.
- Don’t split 10s: It’s a tempting pair to split, but keeping them together gives you a strong starting point.
- Take a hit on soft 17: If your hand is a soft 17 (including an ace,) consider hitting to improve your chances of reaching a higher total.
Double-Deck Blackjack Strategy
- Pay attention to the dealer’s upcard: Tailor your decisions based on the dealer’s visible card and adjust your strategy accordingly.
- Soft hands are your friends: With two decks, there’s a higher likelihood of having a soft hand (including an ace.) Optimize your strategy for these hands.
- Use basic strategy charts: Memorize or have a basic strategy chart handy. It’ll guide your decisions based on your hand and the dealer’s upcard.
Play Casino Online at Borgata Online
Looking for an online casino? Real money, real thrills and real winnings await when you choose Borgata Online for your casino online betting. Explore live dealer blackjack, jackpot slots, bingo and many other live dealer casino games. Online blackjack live dealer games and tournaments offer both single-hand and multi-hand options for the best of both worlds. Register when you’re ready to join in on the fun.