Roulette is undoubtedly one of the most popular casino table games in the world, both in online casinos and brick-and-mortar establishments.Though it’s a fun casino game that can provide hours of entertainment, it can also be tricky to learn when you aren’t sure about what kind of bets you can make, which is why some people struggle to choose between slots and roulette.
The first thing you need to understand if you want to learn how to play roulette is the types of bets you can make, how much they pay out and what the roulette odds are for any particular bet. We’re going to unpack this so that you can better understand how to bet on roulette and so that you can make the best bet the next time you’re playing roulette on an online casino games service.
Consider the type of roulette game
Before we jump right into the different roulette bets, odds and payouts, it’s important to understand that, just as there are different online slots, there are different types of roulette games to choose from. The two main types are European and American roulette. Although they are similar, there is a significant difference in the number of green pockets or zeros. The European version has one green pocket (0), while the American version has two (0 and 00).
This impacts the odds for the different games. European roulette has slightly higher odds for its bets. As a result, it also has a lower house edge of 2.7%, compared to the American version’s house edge of 5.26%. To help you to decide which is the right game for you, we include the roulette payouts and odds for both versions in the sections below.
Types of roulette bets
Roulette bets usually fall into one of two main categories: inside and outside bets. There are, however, a few other bets to consider – mainly for the European version of the game, which we discuss at the end of this blog. As a general rule to keep in mind, the house edge is always the same for inside and outside bets since it refers to the overall advantage the casino has over players in any particular game.
Outside bets are those that cover a wider range of bets – for example, odds or evens, and red or black. This type of bet has a higher win probability given that it covers half the possible outcomes of the game. This is why outside bets are a great choice for beginners.
Because outside bets have a higher chance of winning, they also have a lower payout average. The column and the dozen are the outside bets which have slightly better payouts, given that they only cover 12 numbers on the wheel rather than 18.
Some examples of outside bets include:
- Red or black: This is when you bet on the red or black numbers on the wheel.
- Odd or even: You bet on whether the ball will land on an odd or even number.
- Low or high: If you choose low and the ball lands on numbers 1–18, you win. If you choose high and the ball lands on numbers 19–36, you win.
- Column: There are three columns of 12 each on a roulette table of which you must choose one. If your ball lands on one of the numbers in the column you chose, you win.
- Dozens: You can bet on the ball landing on the first dozen numbers (1–12), the second dozen (13–24) and the third dozen (25–36). If the ball lands on one of your selected numbers, you win.
Outside bets odds and potential payout
|Bet Type||Payout||European Odds||American Odds|
|Red or black||1:1||48.65%||47.37%|
|Odd or even||1:1||48.65%||47.37%|
|High or low||1:1||48.65%||47.37%|
Inside bets are specific bets made on numbers and sets of numbers on the inside of the betting table. Compared to outside bets, these have a lower chance of success but a bigger payout.
Some examples of inside bets include:
- Straight-up: This is when you bet on a single number. If the ball lands on your number, you win.
- Split: Here, you place your chip on the line between two numbers. If the ball lands on either of them, you win.
- Street: Similar to the split, except you bet on three adjacent numbers, e.g., 9, 10, 11. If the ball lands on any one of them, you win.
- Corner: Essentially, you are betting on four numbers. Place your chip on the center point of the four numbers, which is the corner that joins them all up. You win if the ball lands on any of these numbers.
- Basket: A basket bet will cover five numbers, such as 0, 00, 1, 2 and 3 (if you’re playing American roulette). If the ball lands on any of these numbers, you win. Keep in mind that this is only possible in American roulette.
- Double street: This bet is on six numbers in total as you will select two adjoining rows. This is also called a line bet. You win if the ball lands on any of these numbers.
Inside bets odds and potential payout
|Bet Type||Payout||European Odds||American Odds|
In European or French variations of roulette there are wagers called Call bets, which are not available at all casinos.These specific bets are grouped according to the specific positions on the roulette wheel rather than the numbers on the table. Here are just a few examples of called bets:
- Les Voisins du Zéro or Neighbors of Zero: This is when you bet on all 17 numbers near the green zone. Keep in mind that the payout will be determined by the winning number. A payout of 17 to 1 is granted for the split numbers, 8 to 1 for the corner bet and 11 to 1 for the combination of three numbers.
- Jeu Zero or Zero Game: Placing a bet on the seven numbers close to the green zone. The payout depends on the number the ball lands on. If number 26 comes up, players are paid out 36 to 1, but if any of the remaining six numbers are landed, the payout will be 18 to 1.
- Tiers du Cylindre or Third of the Wheel: Place a bet on the 12 numbers next to the neighbors of zero. Winning this bet has a payout of 17 to 1.
Some quick roulette betting tips
Now that you understand the different types of bets and how they work, here are some quick general tips to help you improve your game:
- For the best chance of winning, bet on red or black, evens or odds, 1-18 or 19-36.
- In terms of odds, columns are the second-best bet. So, if you’re looking for a higher payout with slightly lower odds of winning, this is the bet you should look at.
- If you’re willing to risk the odds, the best bet with the highest payout is the straight up bet which has a payout of 35:1.
While these tips may help, it’s important to remember that roulette is a game of chance, so sometimes fortune will not be in your favor.
Play online roulette with Borgata Online
We hope that you understand a bit more about roulette bets, odds and payouts after reading this blog. If you’d like to put your knowledge to the test, we’ve got you covered. At Borgata Online, we have a whole host of roulette games and other new casino games, including new live dealer games, poker, slots and much more, regardless of whether you like to play at home or like to play the best casino games on the go.
Register with Borgata and play the best casino games.